Helping Frustrated Renters Become HAPPY Homeowners

“The distance between where you are and where you want to be is not that far,” said success coach Blair singer, one of my mentors.

Now that made me perk up!

I was at a conference earlier this month, ostensibly about exploding our income in 2015. Now, who wouldn’t want that???? And it did include that, too. In fact, if you put all the pieces together, it really was about that. But most of those pieces had very little to do with income.

The distance he was talking about was the six inches between one’s ears. Now that wasn’t exactly music to these ears (and he surely wasn’t talking about music, either).

He explained that only about 10% of our brain is the conscious part, where we do our active thinking, reasoning, calculating, planning, and creating. The other 90% is the sub-conscious, largely the pooling of the remnants of life experiences from our past—both their memory and their effects on our psyche. But that part is the centre of “first reactions” to any initiative.

Ok, I’m not a psychologist nor a neuro-scientist, so the description may be over-simplified. But, you get the idea.

So, when opportunity knocks, the first reaction, informed by all our past experiences–from childhood, through high school, through adulthood–comes from the sub-conscious. And, we do know from the scientific community that the subconscious part of our brain inherently reacts with a fight or flight mentality whenever the calm of everyday existence is disturbed.

Opportunity disturbs the calm.

So, our first, automatic, reaction is to resist opportunity (or any other stressor, for that matter). Singer called this first reaction “the little voice.” It is learning how to overcome this “little voice” that propels an athlete to success. It is what propels the artist to success. It is what propels the entrepreneur to success. It is what I have to overcome every time I write a blog post.

Singer has written a book and developed a whole system to help us “master the little voice.” His twenty techniques for training the sub-conscious to be our ally rather than our enemy, are sub-titled How to win the war between your ears in 30 seconds or less and have an extraordinary life!

There is no such thing as business development without personal development, he said. So, if we work on personal development, we will improve all areas of our lives, including our business lives. Has he been financially successful? Very much so. But he kept using illustrations about how his personal development affected his relationships with family and friends. It will improve your marriage, it will help your dating life, it will build your confidence, it will change your perspective on life.

Now, I figure at least some of those twenty should help me, too. And probably help us all. And some, or most of them, may help to increase my business success, too.

Ok, so you’re wondering about those techniques? Well, I certainly can’t go into all twenty in this blog post. But here’s the first one: Celebrate all wins! Use the fist pump you see athletes use and blurt out a verbal “Yes,” at the same time. It will cement the “win” in your brain and begin to counteract any past experiences that may be casting doubt on your ability to succeed.

I’m happy to pass on more about “Little Voice Mastery,” to anyone interested. Please reply to this blog post and request more information.

And add this to last week’s blog post . . .

Last week we talked about how you are actually paying the banks when you deposit money at too low a rate. One astute reader pointed out that, in addition to paying the banks to store your money, you also pay the government when you do that, because at the end of the year, you get a T-5 form that says you made $20 in investment income from depositing that $1000 in the bank for a year. That means you’ll end up paying an additional $4.01 – $9.16 in taxes on that money (depending on your tax bracket). A rip-off?

“We should be getting tax deductions for letting the banks hold (use) our money”, she said.

I couldn’t agree more.

If you missed last week’s blog post, you can read it here.

Rent 2 Own tip:

When you get into a rent 2 own contract and search for a home, a property with a suite is a great option because all the revenue from a suite goes to you to help you pay for your monthly rent and rent credits.

Quote of the Week:

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself. – Paul Bryant